Since 2010 the average Megapixels for a Canon interchangeable lens cameras had come to settle at just over 19 Megapixels, with the highest being 22MP. Today Canon smashes those statistics with the official release of the new Canon EOS 5DS and 5DS R 50.6MP professional DSLR cameras. Also unveiled is the world’s widest-angle retilinearzoom lens, the new EF 11-24mm f/4L USM.
The "S" stands for sharpness presumably. Canon says the EOS 5DS and 5DS R are geared towards fine art shooters, landscape photographers, or anyone in need of getting the maximum amount of detail technically possible in a full frame DSLR.
London, UK, 6 February 2015 – Canon today transforms the EOS system with the arrival of the EOS 5DS and the EOS 5DS R – a new breed of ultra-high resolution full-frame DSLRs.
Breaking the boundaries of 35mm sensors,the new cameras offer the highest megapixels ever seen in a full frame sensor, an astonishing 50.6MP. Delivering unparalleled quality, the cameras provide an exceptional combination of resolution, responsiveness and durability, whether shooting landscapes, architecture, high fashion or portraiture, either personally or professionally. When nothing but the sharpest image is expected, the EOS 5DS R also features a low pass cancellation filter to maximise the sensor’s resolution and visible image quality.Alongside the new DSLRs, Canon also introduces the EF 11-24mm f/4L USM, the world’s widest-angle rectilinear zoom lens(1), the perfect companion for landscape and architecture photographers.
[tabby title="Key Features"]
- 50.6 MP CMOS Sensor with Dual DIGIC 6 Processors
- 150K Pixel RGB+IR Metering Sensor
- Up to 5.0 Frames Per Second
- 61-point AF
- Cropped Shooting
- EOS 5DS R Features Low-pass Cancellation Filter
[tabby title="Additional Features"]
- 3.2" Clear View II LCD Screen
- ISO 100-6400 (12800 Expandable)
- In-camera Crop Shooting Modes–1.3x, 1.6x and 1:1
- 19 MP Even when Cropped to 1.6x
- 100% Viewfinder with Electronic Overlay
Canon EF 11-24mm f/4L USM Lens
Canon EF 11-24mm f/4L USM Lens Features
- L-series ultra-wide zoom lens with an impressive 11mm starting focal length
- New optical design and the use of one Super UD element and one UD lens element
- Subwavelength Coating (SWC) and Air Sphere Coating (ASC)
- Inner focusing, ring USM, a high-speed CPU and optimized AF algorithms
- Full-time manual focus allows manual focus adjustment while in AF Mode